Girls On Fire 5679
Girls on Fire and FIRST
- Girls on Fire is a FIRST Robotics Competition (FRC) team (Team 5679).
- Girls on Fire is the only all-girls FRC team in the Triad, and is one of only two all-girls teams in North Carolina.
- The mission of FIRST (For the Inspiration and Recognition of Science and Technology) is to “inspire young people to be science and technology leaders in exciting mentor-based programs that build science, engineering and technology skills, that inspire innovation, and that foster well-rounded life capabilities including self-confidence, communication, and leadership.”
- FRC is geared toward high school students.
- Teams have six weeks (beginning each January) to conceptualize, design, build, program, modify and test a robot.
- Qualifying competitions are held, culminating with the FIRST Championship.
- The goal of Girls on Fire is to empower young women in Science, Technology, Engineering, Arts, and Mathematics (STEAM).
- Members of the team focus on honing many skills, including:
- Mechanics, Electronics, and Programming
- Communications (including public speaking and writing)
- Finance and Budgeting